Wednesday 4 March 2009

I'm back!

Hey Yo!
   I have recovered from my awful cold, although I still have a bit of a cough.  The last week and a half has been a trial.  I got sick right after I got back from Manchester, England which caused me to be feverish and sneezy and coughy and gross.  I had to miss some classes and take the bus to uni because I couldn't really walk any where.  I think this contributed a lot to my bout of home-sickness that came.  I should maybe phrase it to say that it was more like school-sickness.  I started missing olaf horribly.  I missed the classes and the professors because they are just not the same here.  However, as the cold dissipates, I am also getting over my other sickness.  
More about Manchester.  I played in the Mixed National Indoor Frisbee tournament, and the team got third place.  I played enough, it was nice that the team trusted me to come in and play with them.  This team has been playing and practicing together all year, and they allowed me to come into their group and play with them in Nationals!  I played around 3 points per game, and I felt very privileged to be a part of it.  We beat edinburgh in the fight to finish third, which is a huge deal.  For people that know Northfield frisbee, it's like a game between the bella donnas and syzegy, in which syzegy wins.  In the last seven years, I like aberdeen had beaten Edinburgh maybe once.  
We stayed in army barracks for the two nights that we were there.  There was a bar in the barracks, and I had a nice conversation with the English bartender who thought that America would have been better off had they never sought independence from England.  He had some interesting ideas.  He gave me my English perspective for the United Kingdom.  It is very clear when you are over here that Scotland is not excited about being under the authority of England, and England loves it.  Scotland sees England as their bullying older brother, and would probably prefer to be a separate entity.  It's really cool to see these attitudes coming out and seeing the politics that have been around for so long.  
I leave in less than a month for spring break.  A three week vacation where I will travel in Spain, France, and Germany, and quite possibly Norway as well! It's going to be an amazing trip.  We will also be stopping by London for a few days which should be amazing.  I haven't been to London for 16 years, so this is going to be a time to remember.  
Send me mail!  I would love to get some letters from you all because I miss you!  

No comments:

Post a Comment