Tuesday 17 March 2009

st patty's day plus weekend adventures

Today is St. Patrick's day.  I am sitting in the hub, looking around me, and no one is wearing green.  I know it's not nearly as big of a holiday here as in the U.S. but I don't get it. St. Patrick's Day is an excuse to wear crazy colors and get drunk.  Wait, maybe that's why, because the Scots wear crazy colors and get drunk every day.  
This weekend was a blast.  On Saturday I went to a charity event, a duck race!  I bought a duck for 2 pounds and watched it race down the river Dee.  They took 500 ducks up to the bridge and threw them into the river. The wind was mighty and the current swept those ducks down the river at a raging speed.  My duck didn't win... But, I got to race on some bouncy balls with my friend Andreas (I lost horribly), and win candy by scooping up a duck in a small pool, and jump in a bouncy castle!  So, all in all it was a very fun day.  
That evening I went to my first Ceidleh!  It's a traditional Scottish dance, similar to square dancing, but much cooler because all the guys wear kilts!  I danced about 3 dances and watched even more.  It's amazing how good some of these guys are at dancing, and none of them have any shame, being in skirts and all.  
Hopefully this evening or tomorrow I will upload some photos from my duck race.  If you look really closely you can even see my duck, number 407 in the very middle of the pack!  
Have a good day all!  I miss you.
Steph


No comments:

Post a Comment